Friday

 Anniversaries, Birthdays and Family...


I come from an extremely small family: our reunions tend to look like a few disparately-aged folks getting together for beers on a Saturday afternoon. Not so with the Morewoods. Turns out Paula and Henry's 50th Anniversary and Henry's 80th Birthday fell in the same year so to celebrate they rented out a good chunk of the Pacific Shores Resort in sunny Parksville, BC, flew in a bunch of family and, well, reunited.
This is Paula:


And this is her husband of 50 years (and newly minted octogenarian) Henry:


And here is the clan (It's Henry's birthday so he can do whatever he wants with his tongue).


Imagine, if you will, your boss saying something like, "I want you come up with a project that will make you really happy and then I want you to do it." That's kinda what shooting this reunion was like. For two days I got to wander around one of the prettiest towns on the Island and take really casual shots of relaxed, welcoming people having a good time.

We hit the farm...


...we hit the beaches...


...we hiked around Englishman River...


...and we just generally hung out and had a good time.


Notice I'm using the pronoun "we" an awful lot. I can't overemphasize just how open and lovely everyone in this family was as they truly made me feel like I was just one of the cousins who happened to own a couple of expensive cameras. The only real directive was to be sure and "get some nice portraits of the grand kids" which, ya know, is pretty much my thing anyhow:











While reunions are certainly not the bread and butter of Outer Shore it sure is nice to be able to change it up once in a while...


... especially when you're made to feel like one of the family.