Tuesday

Back in the city...

Welcome to the new Outer Shore Photography site and blog!



After three amazing years living in the most beautiful place on earth I've returned to Vancouver. Of course I dearly miss the incredible people and places that I got to know so well but it's great to be close to family and old friends once again. Of course it's not like moving to Tofino was like moving to the moon (although when the weather shut down the pass it felt pretty darn close) but living in a small town was definitely a cultural shift.



Some of the city things I'm happy about: 

-The proximity of aforementioned family and friends.
-The arts scene (although that's not to to say that Tofino's arts scene is any less vibrant, just a helluva lot smaller)
-Lots and lots of restaurants (although very few that match the amazingness of Tofino's SOBO or the sheer everythingness of The Pointe at the Wickaninnish Inn).
-Being able to ride my bike on more than one road. 
-The North Shore mountains (my local 'hood) and, 
-Having a camera store within 10 minutes of home. 


Some of the things I miss about Tofino/Ucluelet:
-The truly amazing sense of community that is created by a mix of really intense weather, close proximity and a shared fate. 
-The sense that one has a specific and recognized role within said community. 
-The over-the-top beauty that is your back yard and of course,
-The SURF (oh lord how I miss The SURF).



Whatever the case, it is great to be back in the town of my birth. 



While I'm yapping, I'd like to thank all the folks who let me use their images on the new site: I couldn't have asked for a better looking crew. I would also like to thank all of the Tofino/Ucluelet locals who were so incredibly supportive of a new business in their midst. Of particular note are the incredible staff at the Wickaninnish Inn,  Eagle View B&B, Shawn Lennon (the creator and overlord of this lovely site) and the entire Summer '08 crew at EAG who kept me on the coast long after I thought it was time to go. I love you all!



The wedding season is fast approaching but in the meantime I've started off the new Outer Shore Photography blog with a few shots of the real reasons I love Vancouver: my gorgeous nieces Monica, Laura, Georgia and Ally, my amazing nephew Lucas and , of course, my heart of hearts and son, Graydon. 

Thanks for tuning in!

Shawn